Saturday, November 17, 2007

On Terrain; and the Psychology of the soldier

The Master said...

Therefore, on terrain where the troops are easily scattered. I would keep the troops together; on contested terrain I would pick up the pace of our rear divisions, on intermediate terrain, I would pay particular attention to defense; at a strategically vital intersection, I would make sure of my alliances; on critical terrain, I would maintain a continuous line of provisions; on difficult terrain, I would continue the advance along the road; on terrain vulnerable to ambush, I would block off the paths of access and retreat; on terrain from which there is no way out, I would show our troops my resolve to fight to the death.

Thus the psychology of the soldier is;

Resist when surrounded,

Fight when you have to,

And obey orders explicitly when in danger.

JCL

No comments: